Distinguished Adjunct Professor
Institute Shanghai Institute for Advanced Immunochemical Studies
School of Life Science and Technology
Research Area Protein Machinery and New Drugs
Contact Info. raozh@@shanghaitech.edu.cn
Remarks Member of Presidium of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Prof. Zihe Rao mainly uses the modern-developed biophysical techniques and tools, such as X-ray and Cryo-EM methods, to study the structures and functions of protein machineries from causative pathogens of new and recurrent human infectious diseases, and the structure-based development of innovative drugs. His research focused on the crucial drug targets from Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb), including membrane proteins/complexes involving in cell wall biosynthesis, respiratory chain and transcription/replication systems. Besides, Prof. Zihe Rao also studies key molecular machineries relating to host invasion, replication and assembly from important pathogens including SARS-CoV, influenza virus, HIV, hepatitis virus, herpes virus, small RNA virus and flavivirus, as well as the novel development of anti-virus drugs and vaccines.
1. Yuan S, Wang J, Zhu D, Wang N, Gao Q, Chen W, Tang H, Wang J, Zhang X, Liu H*, Rao Z* and Wang X*. Cryo-EM structure of a Herpesvirus capsid at 3.1 Å. Science. 2018 Apr 6;360(6384).
2. Yao R, Ming Z, Yan L, Li S, Wang F, Ma S, Yu C, Yang M, Chen L, Chen L, Li Y, Yan C, Miao D, Sun Z, Yan J, Sun Y, Wang L, Chu J, Fan S, He W, Deng H, Nan F, Li J, Rao Z*, Lou Z*, Xie D*. DWARF14 is a non-canonical hormone receptor for strigolactone. Nature. 2016 Aug 1;536(7617):469-473
3. Wang X, Ren J, Gao Q, Hu Z, Sun Y, Li X, Rowlands DJ, Yin W, Wang J*, Stuart DI*, Rao Z* & Fry EE*. The structure of hepatitis A virus and the origins of picornaviruses. Nature. 2015 Jan 1;517(7532):85-8.
4. Yuan P, Bartlam M, Lou Z, Chen S, Zhou J, He X, Lv Z, Ge R, Li X, Deng T, Fodor E, Rao Z* & Liu Y*. Crystal structure of an avian influenza polymerase PA(N) reveals an endonuclease active site. Nature, 2009 ;458(7240) :909-13
5. He X, Zhou J, Bartlam M, Zhang R, Ma J, Lou Z, Li X, Li J, Joachimiak A., Zeng Z, Ge R, Rao Z* & Liu YF*. Crystal structure of the polymerase PA(C)-PB1(N) complex from an avian influenza H5N1 virus. Nature, 2008 ;454(7208) :1123-6
6. Sun F, Huo X, Zhai YJ, Wang AJ, Xu JX, Su D, Bartlam M & Rao Z*. Crystal Structure of Mitochondrial Respiratory Membrane Protein Complex. Cell, 2005; 121: 1043-1057
7. Rao Z, Belyaev A, Fry E, Jones I, Roy P & Stuart D. Crystal structure of SIV matrix antigen and implications for virus assembly. Nature,1995 ;378(6558):743-747
8. Rao Z, Handford P, Mayhew M, Knott V, Brownlee G & Stuart D. The structure of a Ca(2+)-binding epidermal growth factor-like domain: its role in protein-protein interactions. Cell, 1995;82(1):131-141