Research Associate Professor, PI
Shanghai Institute for Advanced Immunochemical Studies, ShanghaiTech University
Address: Y Building, Room 402, ShanghaiTech University
Macromolecule drug delivery
Education and Research Experience
2014-2018, Research Associate Professor, Laboratory of ADC Chemistry, Shanghai Institute for Advanced Immunochemical Studies (SIAIS), ShanghaiTech University, Shanghai, China
2012-2014, Postdoctoral Fellow, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, USA
2012, Ph. D in Biochemistry, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, USA
2006, B. S. in Biological Sciences, Nankai University, ChinaPublications (
*, corresponding author; #, first author)
31. Liu J*, Li J, Li J, Zhu L, Wang S-J, Wei X, Ma P-X* Delivery of superoxide dismutase using Cys2-His2 zinc-finger proteins. in Methods Mol Biol (Liu J Eds.), 2018, Humana Press, Totowa.
30. Liu J*, Liang Y-J, Ren P-L, Gaj T. Manufacturing and delivering genome-editing proteins. in Methods Mol Biol (Liu J Eds.), 2018, Humana Press, Totowa.
29. Chen J#, Yang Y-F#, Yang Y, Zou P, Chen J, He Y, Shui S-L, Cui Y-R, Bai R, Liang Y-J, Hu Y, Jiang B, Lu L, Zhang X*, Liu J*, Xu J* (2018) AXL promotes Zika virus infection in astrocytes by antagonizing type I interferon signaling. Nat Microbiol 3, 302-309
28. Mao D#, Liang Y#, Liu Y, Zhou X, Ma J, Jiang B, Liu J* and Ma D* (2017) Acid Labile acyclic cucurbit[n]uril molecular containers for controlled release. Angew Chem Int Ed 56, 12614-12618
27. Li J, Gao Z, Zhao D, Zhang L, Qiao X, Zhao Y, Ding H, Zhang P, Lu J, Liu J, Jiang H*, Luo C* and Chen C* (2017) PI-273, a substrate-competitive, specific small molecule inhibitor of PI4KIIe, inhibits the growth of breast cancer cells. Cancer Res 77, 6253-6277
26. Chen J#, Yang Y-F#, Chen J, Zhou X, Dong Z, Chen T, Yang Y, Zou P, Jiang B, Hu Y, Lu L, Zhang X, Liu J*, Xu J* and Zhu T* (2017) Zika virus infects renal proximal tubular epithelial cells with prolonged persistency and cytopathic effects. Emerg Microbes Infect 6, e77.
25. Liu J and Shui S-S (2016) Delivery methods for site-specific nucleases: Achieving the full potential of therapeutic gene editing. J Control Release 244, 83-97.
24. Gaj T, Sirk JS, Shui S-S and Liu J. (2016) Genome editing technologies: principles and applications. CSH Perspect Biol 8, pii: a023754.
23. Liu S-S, Wei X, Ji Q, Xin X, Jiang B* and Liu J. (2016) A facile and efficient transposon mutagenesis method for generation of multi-codon deletions in protein sequences. J Biotechnol 227, 27-34.
22. Liu J#*, Gaj T#, Yang Y, Wang N, Shui S, Kim S, Kanchiswamy CN, Kim JS*, Barbas CF III. (2015) Efficient delivery of nuclease proteins for genome editing in human stem cells and primary cells. Nature Protoc 10, 1842-1859.
21. (Review article in Chinese) Pang XN, Hong X., Wei X., Chen XW, Liu J* and Chen DF* (2015). Research progress in the physicochemical characteristics of lactoferrin and its recombinant expression systems. Hereditas (Beijing) 37, 873-884.
20. Liu S-S, Wei X, Dong X, Xu L, Liu J* and Jiang B*. (2015) Structural plasticity of green fluorescent protein to amino acid deletions and fluorescence rescue by folding-enhancing mutations. BMC Biochem 16, 17.
19. Sun, Y#, Liu J#, Xianxing Jiang#*, Tao Sun, Luping Liu, Xiaoyuan Zhang, Shaoli Ding, Jingyi Li, Yan Zhuang, Yiqing Wang, Rui Wang* (2015) One-step synthesis of chiral oxindole-type analogues with potent anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities. Sci Rep 5, 13699.
18. Liu J#*, Gaj T, Wallen MC, Barbas CF III (2015) Improved cell-penetrating zinc-finger nuclease proteins for precision genome engineering. Mol Ther- Nucleic Acids 4, e232.
17. Gaj T and Liu J#* (2015) Direct protein delivery to mammalian cells using cell-permeable Cys2-His2 zinc-finger domains. J Vis Exp 25, (97).
16. Liu J, Sun Y, Zhang X, Liang X, Wu Y, Wang Y, Jiang X (2014) Spirooxindoles, a potential novel class of anti-inflammatory agents. Inflamm Cell Signal 1, e372.
15. Gaj T, Liu J, Anderson KE, Sirk SJ, Barbas CF III (2014) Protein delivery using Cys2-His2 zinc-finger domains. ACS Chem Biol 9, 1662-7.
14. Sun Y, Liu J#, Sun T, Zhang X, Yao J, Kai M, Jiang X and Wang R. (2014) Anti-cancer small molecule JP-8g exhibits potent in vivo anti-inflammatory activity. Sci Rep 14, 4: 4372.
13. Liu J, Gaj T, Patterson JT, Sirk SJ and Barbas CF III (2014) Cell-penetrating peptide-mediated delivery of TALEN proteins via bioconjugation for genome engineering. PLoS One 9, e85755.
12. Liu J, Cropp TA. (2013) Rational protein sequence diversification by multi-codon scanning mutagenesis. in Methods Mol Biol (Samuelson J.C. Eds.), 978, pp. 217-8, Humana Press, Totowa.
11. Liu J and Cropp TA. (2012) A method for multi-codon scanning mutagenesis of proteins based on asymmetric transposons. Protein Eng Des Sel 25, 67-72.
10. Liu J and Cropp TA. (2012) Experimental methods for scanning unnatural amino acid mutagenesis, in Methods Mol Biol (Pollegioni, L. and Servi, S., Eds.), 794, pp. 187-97, Humana Press, Totowa.
9. Castaneda CA, Liu J, Chaturvedi A, Nowicka U, Cropp TA. and Fushman, D. (2011) Nonenzymatic assembly of natural polyubiquitin chains of any linkage composition and isotopic labeling scheme.J Am Chem Soc133, 17855-68.
8. Castaneda CA, Liu J, Kashyap TR, Singh RK, Fushman D and Cropp TA. (2011) Controlled enzymatic synthesis of natural-linkage, defined-length polyubiquitin chains using lysines with removable protecting groups. Chem Commun 47, 2026-8.
7. Liu J, Castaneda CA, Wilkins BJ, Fushman D and Cropp TA. (2010) Condensed E. coli cultures for highly efficient production of proteins containing unnatural amino acids. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 20, 5613-6.
6. Wilkins BJ, Marionni S, Young DD, Liu J, Wang Y, Di Salvo ML, Deiters A and Cropp TA. (2010) Site-specific incorporation of fluorotyrosines into proteins in Escherichia coli by photochemical disguise. Biochemistry 49, 1557-9.
5. Chen D, Liu J, Liu J and Chen X. (2010) Evolution of the catalytic activity of Arabidopsis thaliana glutathione transferase zeta class-1 by saturation mutagenesis. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 74, 1458-61.
4. Chen X, Liu J#, Yang P and Chen D. (2010) Identifying functional residues in Arabidopsis thaliana zeta class glutathione S-transferase through screening inactive point mutants. Biochemistry (Moscow) 75, 110-4.
3. Tao S, Chen X, Liu J, Ming M, Chong N and Chen D. (2008) Characterization of Ser73 in Arabidopsis thaliana glutathione S-transferase zeta class. J Genet Genomics 35, 507-12.
2. (in Chinese) Tao S, Chen X, Liu J, Jia X and Chen D. (2008) Obtainment and characterization of the evolved enzymes from Arabidopsis thaliana glutathione S-transferase zeta class. Progress Biochem Biophys 35, 208-16.
1. (in Chinese) Tao S, Liu J, Chen X and Chen D. (2007) Site-saturation mutagenesis technology and its application in protein engineering. China Biotech 27, 82-6.
Book as Editor
Volume Editor. Zinc Finger Proteins: Methods and Protocols. (2018) Methods in Molecular Biology. Springer Nature.
Invited by Methods in Molecular Biology series editor John Walker
6. (Chinese patent) Jia Liu, Biao Jiang, Peixiang Ma. Zinc finger protein-superoxide dismutase fusion protein with cell-penetrating ability. 201810360718.X.
5. (Chinese patent) Jia Liu, Jiajia Dong. Compounds that can modulate genome editing and the applications therefore. 201810609677.3.
4. Jia Liu, Biao Jiang, Peixiang Ma and Guang Yang. Composition and use of Cas protein inhibitors. PCT/CN2018/102908.
3. Jia Liu and Biao Jiang. Compositions and methods of transdermal applications of cell-permeable botulinum toxin A. PCT/CN2017/093810. National Phase.
2. (Chinese patent) Jia Liu, Sai-lan Shui, Shaojie Wang, Yifeng Yang. SpyCas9 proteins with multiple nuclear localization signals and the applications therefore. 201710045273.1.
1. (Chinese patent) Jia Liu, Biao Jiang, Shu-su Liu. An asymmetric transposon and applications therefore. 201510898429.1. (minor revision)
3. Nanshan Scholar, Guangzhou Medical University, 200 K, 2019-2022, Principle Investigator.
2. National Science Foundation of China-Young Investigator, Gene-free gene editing using purified ZFN, TALEN and Cas9 proteins, 31600686, 200 K, 2017.01-2019.12, Principle Investigator.
1. State Key Laboratory of Medicinal Chemical Biology at Nankai University, The effects of zinc finger proteins on the cell-penetrating ability of human lactoferrin, 201503017, 50 K, 2015.01-2017.01, Joint.
3) Xian-hao Zhou (2015 graduate, ShanghaiTech University)
As secondary research advisor
Current: Ph.D candidate, Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Rhode Island
2) Pei-ling Ren (2015 graduate, University of Chinese Academy of Sciences)
As secondary research advisor
Current: Wuxi AppTech, Junior Scientist
1) Sai-lan Shui (2014 graduate, ShanghaiTech University)
As secondary research advisor
Current: Ph.D candidate, 茅cole Polytechnique F茅d茅rale de Lausanne (EPFL)
2007-2008, as teaching assistant for Organic Chemistry I and II, University of Maryland, College Park
Ad hoc reviewer for Methods
Ad hoc reviewer for G3
Ad hoc reviewer for Biomaterials
Ad hoc reviewer for PeerJ
Ad hoc reviewer for Emerg Microbes Infect