Assistant Professor, PI
Shanghai Institute for Advanced Immunochemical Studies, ShanghaiTech University
Address: Y Building, Room 402, ShanghaiTech University
Macromolecule drug delivery
Education and Research Experience
2020-present, Research Professor, Principle Investigator of Laboratory of Macromolecule Drug Delivery, Shanghai Institute for Advanced Immunochemical Studies (SIAIS); Assistant Professor, School of Life Sciences and Technology, ShanghaiTech University, Shanghai, China
2018-2020, Research Associate Professor, Principle Investigator of Laboratory of Macromolecule Drug Delivery, Shanghai Institute for Advanced Immunochemical Studies (SIAIS), ShanghaiTech University, Shanghai, China
2014-2018, Research Associate Professor, Laboratory of ADC Chemistry, Shanghai Institute for Advanced Immunochemical Studies (SIAIS), ShanghaiTech University, Shanghai, China
2012-2014, Postdoctoral Fellow, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, USA
2012, Ph.D. in Biochemistry, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, USA
2006, B.S. in Biological Sciences, Nankai University, China
Publications (*, corresponding author; #, first author)
38. Ma P, Meng Q, Sun B, Zhao B, Dang L, Zhong M, Liu S, Xu H, Mei H, Liu J, Chi T, Yang G, Liu M, Huang X, Wang X. (2020) MeCas12a, a highly sensitive and specific system for COVID-19 detection. Adv Sci 7, 2001300.
37. Wang X, Zhong M, Liu Y, Ma P, Dang L, Meng Q, Wan W, Ma X, Liu J, Yang G, Yang Z, Huang X, Liu M. (2020) Rapid and sensitive detection of COVID-19 using CRISPR/Cas12a-based detection with naked eye readout, CRISPR/Cas12a-NER. Sci Bull (Beijing) 65, 1436-39.
36. Cui Y-R, Wang S-J, Chen J, Li J, Chen W, Wang S, Meng B, Zhu W, Zhang Z, Yang B, Jiang B, YangG, MaP-X*, Liu J*. (2020) Allosteric inhibition of CRISPR-Cas9 by bacteriophage-derived peptides. Genome Biol 21, 51.
35. Li L, Ngo HTT, Hwang E, Wei X, Liu Y, Liu J*, Yi T-H* (2019) Conditioned medium from human adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cell culture prevents UVB-induced skin aging in human keratinocytes and dermal fibroblasts. Int J Mol Sci 21, pii: E49.
34. Pang X#, Tong Y#, Li F, Wei X, Chen X*, Liu J*, Chen D* (2019) Expression and characterization of human lactoferrin with tandem zinc finger protein in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Algal Res 43, 101635.
33. Li B#, Zhou X-H# Yang P-Y, Zhu L, Zhong Y, Cai Z, Jiang B, Cai X, Liu J*, Jiang X* (2019) Photoactivatable fluorogenic labeling via turn‐on “click‐like” nitroso‐diene bioorthogonal reaction. Adv Sci, 1802039.
32. Pang X, Tong Y, Xue W, Yang Y-F, Chen X, Liu J*, Chen D* (2019) Expression and characterization of recombinant human lactoferrin in edible alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Biosci Biotech Biochem 83, 851-9.
31. Liu J*, Li J, Li J, Zhu L, Wang S-J, Wei X, Ma P-X* Delivery of superoxide dismutase using Cys2-His2 zinc-finger proteins. in Methods Mol Biol (Liu J Eds.), 2018, Humana Press, Totowa.
30. Liu J*, Liang Y-J, Ren P-L, Gaj T. Manufacturing and delivering genome-editing proteins. in Methods Mol Biol (Liu J Eds.), 2018, Humana Press, Totowa.
29. Chen J#, Yang Y-F#, Yang Y, Zou P, Chen J, He Y, Shui S-L, Cui Y-R, Bai R, Liang Y-J, Hu Y, Jiang B, Lu L, Zhang X*, Liu J*, Xu J* (2018) AXL promotes Zika virus infection in astrocytes by antagonizing type I interferon signaling. Nat Microbiol3, 302-309
28. Mao D#, Liang Y#, Liu Y, Zhou X, Ma J, Jiang B, Liu J* and Ma D* (2017) Acid Labile acyclic cucurbit[n]uril molecular containers for controlled release. Angew Chem Int Ed56, 12614-12618
27. Li J, Gao Z, Zhao D, Zhang L, Qiao X, Zhao Y, Ding H, Zhang P, Lu J, Liu J, Jiang H*, Luo C* and Chen C* (2017) PI-273, a substrate-competitive, specific small molecule inhibitor of PI4KIIe, inhibits the growth of breast cancer cells. Cancer Res77, 6253-6277
26. Chen J#, Yang Y-F#,Chen J, Zhou X, Dong Z, Chen T, Yang Y, Zou P, Jiang B, Hu Y, Lu L, Zhang X, Liu J*, Xu J*and Zhu T* (2017) Zika virus infects renal proximal tubular epithelial cells with prolonged persistency and cytopathic effects. Emerg Microbes Infect 6, e77.
25. Liu J and Shui S-S (2016) Delivery methods for site-specific nucleases: Achieving the full potential of therapeutic gene editing. J Control Release 244, 83-97.
24. Gaj T, Sirk JS, Shui S-S and Liu J. (2016) Genome editing technologies: principles and applications. CSH Perspect Biol8, pii: a023754.
23. Liu S-S, Wei X, Ji Q, Xin X, Jiang B* and Liu J. (2016) A facile and efficient transposon mutagenesis method for generation of multi-codon deletions in protein sequences. J Biotechnol 227, 27-34.
22. Liu J#*, Gaj T#, Yang Y, Wang N, Shui S, Kim S, Kanchiswamy CN, Kim JS*, Barbas CF III. (2015) Efficient delivery of nuclease proteins for genome editing in human stem cells and primary cells. Nature Protoc10, 1842-1859.
21. (Review article in Chinese) Pang XN, Hong X, Wei X, Chen X-W, Liu J* and Chen D-F* (2015). Research progress in the physicochemical characteristics of lactoferrin and its recombinant expression systems. Hereditas (Beijing) 37, 873-884.
20. Liu S-S, Wei X, Dong X, Xu L, Liu J* and Jiang B*. (2015) Structural plasticity of green fluorescent protein to amino acid deletions and fluorescence rescue by folding-enhancing mutations. BMC Biochem 16, 17.
19 Sun, Y#, Liu J#, Xianxing Jiang#*, Tao Sun, Luping Liu, Xiaoyuan Zhang, Shaoli Ding, Jingyi Li, Yan Zhuang, Yiqing Wang, Rui Wang* (2015) One-step synthesis of chiral oxindole-type analogues with potent anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities. Sci Rep5, 13699.
18. Liu J#*, Gaj T, Wallen MC, Barbas CF III (2015) Improved cell-penetrating zinc-finger nuclease proteins for precision genome engineering. Mol Ther- Nucleic Acids4, e232.
17. Gaj T and Liu J#* (2015) Direct protein delivery to mammalian cells using cell-permeable Cys2-His2 zinc-finger domains. J Vis Exp 25, (97).
16. Liu J, Sun Y, Zhang X, Liang X, Wu Y, Wang Y, Jiang X (2014) Spirooxindoles, a potential novel class of anti-inflammatory agents. Inflamm Cell Signal1, e372.
15. Gaj T, Liu J, Anderson KE, Sirk SJ, Barbas CF III (2014) Protein delivery using Cys2-His2 zinc-finger domains. ACS Chem Biol 9, 1662-7.
14. Sun Y, Liu J#, Sun T, Zhang X, Yao J, Kai M, Jiang X and Wang R. (2014) Anti-cancer small molecule JP-8g exhibits potent in vivo anti-inflammatory activity. Sci Rep 14, 4: 4372.
13. Liu J, Gaj T, Patterson JT, Sirk SJ and Barbas CF III (2014) Cell-penetrating peptide-mediated delivery of TALEN proteins via bioconjugation for genome engineering. PLoS One9, e85755.
12. Liu J, Cropp TA. (2013) Rational protein sequence diversification by multi-codon scanning mutagenesis. in Methods Mol Biol (Samuelson J.C. Eds.), 978, pp. 217-8, Humana Press, Totowa.
11. Liu J and Cropp TA. (2012)A method for multi-codon scanning mutagenesis of proteins based on asymmetric transposons. Protein Eng Des Sel25, 67-72.
10. Liu J and Cropp TA. (2012) Experimental methods for scanning unnatural amino acid mutagenesis, in Methods Mol Biol (Pollegioni, L. and Servi, S., Eds.), 794, pp. 187-97, Humana Press, Totowa.
9. Castaneda CA, Liu J, Chaturvedi A, Nowicka U, Cropp TA. and Fushman, D. (2011) Nonenzymatic assembly of natural polyubiquitin chains of any linkage composition and isotopic labeling scheme. J Am Chem Soc133, 17855-68.
8. Castaneda CA, Liu J, Kashyap TR, Singh RK, Fushman D and Cropp TA. (2011) Controlled enzymatic synthesis of natural-linkage, defined-length polyubiquitin chains using lysines with removable protecting groups. Chem Commun47, 2026-8.
7. Liu J, Castaneda CA, Wilkins BJ, Fushman D and Cropp TA. (2010) Condensed E. coli cultures for highly efficient production of proteins containing unnatural amino acids. Bioorg Med Chem Lett20, 5613-6.
6. Wilkins BJ, Marionni S, Young DD, Liu J, Wang Y, Di Salvo ML, Deiters A and Cropp TA. (2010) Site-specific incorporation of fluorotyrosines into proteins in Escherichia coli by photochemical disguise. Biochemistry 49, 1557-9.
5. Chen D, Liu J, Liu J and Chen X. (2010) Evolution of the catalytic activity of Arabidopsis thaliana glutathione transferase zeta class-1 by saturation mutagenesis. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 74, 1458-61.
4. Chen X, Liu J#, Yang P and Chen D. (2010) Identifying functional residues in Arabidopsis thaliana zeta class glutathione S-transferase through screening inactive point mutants. Biochemistry (Moscow) 75, 110-4.
3. Tao S, Chen X, Liu J, Ming M, Chong N and Chen D. (2008) Characterization of Ser73 in Arabidopsis thaliana glutathione S-transferase zeta class. J Genet Genomics 35, 507-12.
2. (in Chinese) Tao S, Chen X, Liu J, Jia X and Chen D. (2008) Obtainment and characterization of the evolved enzymes from Arabidopsis thaliana glutathione S-transferase zeta class. Progress Biochem Biophys 35, 208-16.
1. (in Chinese) Tao S, Liu J, Chen X and Chen D. (2007) Site-saturation mutagenesis technology and its application in protein engineering. China Biotech 27, 82-6.
Book as Editor
Volume Editor. Zinc Finger Proteins: Methods and Protocols. (2018) Methods in Molecular Biology. Springer Nature.
Invited by Methods in Molecular Biology series editor John Walker
9. (Chinese patent pending) Jia Liu. The kit, method and application of a method for detecting respiratory pathogens. ZL202010659510.5.
8. (Chinese patent pending, Granted) Jia Liu. The kit, method and application of a method for detecting respiratory pathogens. 202010659510.5.
7. (Chinese patent pending) Jia Liu, Defu Chen. Cell-penetrating zinc finger-lactoferrin fusion proteins and their applications. 2019.01.31. 201910098200.8.
6. (PCT patent pending) Jia Liu, Biao Jiang, Peixiang Ma, Guang Yang. Composition and use of Cas protein inhibitors. 2018.08.29. PCT/CN2018/102908. National Phase.
5. (PCT patent pending) Jia Liu, Jiajia Dong. Compounds for regulating genome editing and applications therefore. 2018.06.13. PCT/CN2019/091081.
4. (Chinese patent pending) Jia Liu, Biao Jiang, Peixiang Ma. Cell-penetrating zinc finger-superoxide dismutase fusion proteins. 2018.04.20. 201810360718.X.
3. (PCT patent pending) Jia Liu, Biao Jiang. Topical compositions and uses. 2017.07.21. PCT/CN2017/093810. Published, National Phase.
2. (Chinese patent pending) Jia Liu, Sai-lan Shui, Shao-jie Wang, Yi-feng Yang. SpyCas9 with multi-NLS fusion and applications therefore. 2017.01.19. 201710045273.1
1. (Chinese patent, Granted) Jia Liu, Biao Jiang, Shu-su Liu. An asymmetric transposon and applications therefore. ZL201510898429.1, 2015.12.08, CN105368832B.
7. Zhangjiang District, Zhangjiang National Innovation Demonstration Zone, 2019.09-2021.06, ZJ2020-ZD-004, In Progress, Subsection Principle Investigator (for specific detection of SARS-CoV-2 and influenza viruses).
6. Zhejiang University, Special Scientific Research Fund For COVID-19 Prevention And Control, 2020XGZX011, Identification and dissection SARS-CoV-2 receptor and evaluation of its potential as drug target, 2020.02-2020.08, 360 K RMB, In Progress, Sub-section Principle Investigator.
5. ShanghaiTech University, Shanghai Institute for Advanced Immunochemical Studies, 2019F0301-000-01, Startup Fund for the Laboratory of Macromolecule Drug Delivery, 2018.08-2023.08, In Progress, Principle Investigator.
4. Ministry of Science and Technology, National Key R&D Program of China International Collaboration Project, 2018YFE0200402, Isolation of neutralizing antibodies from patient blood samples using high-throughput microfluidic technology, 2020.01-2023.12, 410 K RMB, In Progress, Sub-section Principle Investigator.
3. Guangzhou Medical University, State Key Laboratory of Respiratory Diseases, B195002015028, Nanshan Scholars, 2018.11-2020.11, 200 K RMB, In Progress, Principle Investigator.
2. National Science Foundation of China-Young Investigator, 31600686, Gene-free gene editing using purified ZFN, TALEN and Cas9 proteins, 2017.01-2019.12, 200 K RMB, Completed, Principle Investigator.
1. State Key Laboratory of Medicinal Chemical Biology at Nankai University, 201503017, The effects of zinc finger proteins on the cell-penetrating ability of human lactoferrin, 2015.01-2017.01, 50 K RMB, Completed, Participating.
3) Xian-hao Zhou (2015 graduate, ShanghaiTech University)
As secondary research advisor
Current: Ph.D candidate, Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Rhode Island
2) Pei-ling Ren (2015 graduate, University of Chinese Academy of Sciences)
As secondary research advisor
Current: Wuxi AppTech, Junior Scientist
1) Sai-lan Shui (2014 graduate, ShanghaiTech University)
As secondary research advisor
Current: Ph.D candidate, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)
2007-2008, as teaching assistant for Organic Chemistry I and II, University of Maryland, College Park
Ad hoc reviewer for Commun Biol, Nat Commun, JACS, Methods, G3, Biomaterials, PeerJ, Emerg Microbes Infect